Raoul Pal CEO/Founder - The Global Macro Investor, CEO/Co-Founder Real Vision Group
Record Date: 5/30/17
Hello Everyone, today is a special day for Futures Radio Show as we announce a new sponsor TopstepTrader. One of the most popular questions we get here at futures radio is from traders that are looking to get funded. TopstepTrader is the worlds most innovative funding opportunity. Prove you can profit, show you can manage risk, and become a funded trader. I have visited their office in Chicago & I've gone through their combine, they are a top notch service with topnotch people. Be sure to try them out for free at TopstepTrader.com. [bctt tweet="#FuturesRadio 'Lowering the amounts of risk and extending your time-horizon allows you to stay in large economic trends where the real money is made" username="RaoulGMI"] Now on to today's guest. I spoke with a man who after university got a job at Dow Jones Telerate, and then moved on to work at a stock brokerage firm doing international equity derivatives, futures and options. He then went to Goldman Sachs to run a Hedge Fund sales business & during his time there had opportunities to speak with some of the most famous traders in the world. After Goldman he ran a global macro hedge fund and from there started Global Macro Investor research to help big funds with their trading. After this he went on to start the financial media company RealVision, because he didn’t like how the current financial media was treating the industry like entertainment. He is the CEO/Founder of the Global Macro Investor & CEO/Co-Founder of Real Vision Group, his name is Raoul Pal. Today Raoul and I talked about how time horizon and the broadness of the way he looks at things is his edge. We talked about his reason for being bearish Crude Oil and why he thinks it will hit $30 or even $20 per barrel. Raoul explains why he is bullish the US Dollar and how his view on the dollar fits into his overall theme of the markets right now. Finally Raoul explains why he was an early buyer of Bitcoin and why he just recently covered his position in it. I’ve done 130 interviews on this show and this was by far one of my favorites. Raoul & I have completely different trading styles, but we have a lot of similarities when it comes to using confirmations within our trading. Also, his reasons for starting Real Vision were similar to my reasons for starting Futures Radio. I had a blast speaking with Raoul not only does he have a deep understanding of markets, hes a really great guy. I know you will enjoy hearing from him today. As always thank you for listening, and please enjoy this episode.
- Why Raoul thinks that extending time horizon and lowering the risk is where the real money is made.
- His reasons for being bearish oil if certain things play out. He explains how or why he’ll make a trade and how he manages his trading.
- His view on the US dollar price and where he sees it going in the future. He tells us how his analysis is based on technical and fundamental reasons.
- How he sees US growth playing out in the future. How he looks at the ISM data and what could be on the horizon for the US.
- His views on Bitcoin, why he was a buyer, and now why he is less of a buyer.
- How has your trading evolved?
- Longer term trader instead of shorter term.
- The moment trading just clicked for you?
- Started understanding technical analysis, started talking to some of the worlds most famous investors.
- 1 source you spend your time on?
- Watches a lot of real vision, spends time on twitter.
- Favorite Book About Trading:
- Favorite Movie About Trading:
- Best Advice Ever Received About Trading:
- From Paul Tudor Jones: what makes a great trader is someone who’s idea horizon matches their trade time horizon.
- Advice to Give to Others About Trading:
- Learn how to chart. Even though people swear against them, charts tell you everything.
- If you weren’t a trader you’d be what?
- Rockstar, or Architect, but also set up a media company.
- “Lowering the amounts of risk and extending your time-horizon allows you to stay in large economic trends where the real money is made…”6:00