Guest:Prof. Steve Hanke Applied Economist | Senior Fellow & Director of the #TroubledCurrencies Project @CatoInstitute | FX & Commodities Trader | Reagan White House Alum
Dear Traders,Today we have a very special guest for everyone. He is a man that predicted the OPEC collapse in the 80’s and has 63 years of trading under his belt. Professor of Applied Economics at John Hopkins University Mr. Steve Hanke. There is a lot to learn in this interview as we cover why most market participants are confused about money, the economy, and the markets. Professor Hanke explains why we need to be looking more at bank money rather than fed money, and why the Fed is not in a hurry to tighten. He talks about the importance of the growth of money supply. And finally, He teaches us what the oil/gold ratio is and how we as traders can take advantage of this long term opportunity. We hope you enjoy this episode and as always, thank you for listening!
- Why most people are confused about markets and money in general.
- Why we should focus on bank money rather than fed money.
- Understanding the growth of money supply. How it affects us all.
- Why he thinks the Fed will not be in a hurry to tighten.
- The oil/gold mean reversion. What is it and why it’s saying oil will go up.
Answers to the 4 rapid fire questions at the end of the show:
- Favorite Book About Trading: - Writings of Aristotle, “you need to know everything.”
- Favorite Movie About Trading: - Watching the nightly news and reading newspapers.
- Best Advice Ever Received About Trading: - 5 P’s. Prior Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.
- Advice to Give to Others About Trading: - Learn how to be patient. Be bold in your moves when the time comes.
Resources:Twitter: https://twitter.com/steve_hanke Website: http://www.cato.org/people/steve-hanke
- Since Lehman, we’ve been in a growth recession.
Relevant chart pertaining to guest’s comments:
Oil/Gold Ratio Projections:
Final Sales Data: